Quantiferon TB Gold Plus - $90
- The Quantiferon TB Gold Plus test is a blood test that screens for active and latent tuberculosis infection. See test details below for more information on how it works.
- The test has the following advantages over TB skin testing (PPD): does not require a follow-up visit; is more sensitive; not affected by previous BCG vaccination.
- Testing performed after exposure should be done 8 - 10 weeks after the most recent known exposure
Quantiferon TB Gold Plus details
- Quantiferon TB Gold Plus works by measuring the amount of interferon-gamma (an inflammatory mediator) released from T cells upon exposure to tuberculosis antigens. Patients infected with tuberculosis will have primed memory T cells that quickly release large amounts of interferon-gamma; T cells in uninfected patients will not be primed and do not release interferon-gamma when exposed to tuberculosis antigens.
- Test results are based on measurements taken from 4 separate tubes of blood:
- Nil tube - the nil tube measures the amount of interferon-gamma activity in blood that has not been exposed to an antigen. This is the amount of background interferon-gamma activity.
- Mitogen tube - the mitogen tube measures the amount of interferon-gamma activity in blood after exposure to a nonspecific T-cell stimulator. This tube ensures that T cells are present and able to produce interferon-gamma.
- TB1 tube - the TB1 tube measures the amount of interferon-gamma release after exposure to 2 tuberculosis antigens. This primarily detects CD4 T cell responses.
- TB2 tube - the TB2 tube measures the amount of interferon-gamma release after exposure to 2 tuberculosis antigens and a peptide designed to stimulate TB-specific CD8 T cells. This detects CD4 and CD8 T cell responses.
- Advantages of Quantiferon test over TB skin testing:
- Quantiferon test does not require a follow-up visit
- Quantiferon test interpretation is objective
- Quantiferon test is more sensitive (90% vs 80%)
- Quantiferon test is unaffected by previous BCG vaccination
- Previous Quantiferon testing does not boost subsequent testing, whereas previous TB skin tests can increase the chance of a false-positive skin test
HOW IT WORKS
- Labs through Texas Telemedicine Doctor are performed at Clinical Pathology Laboratories (CPL). You can find the nearest location here - CPL locations.
- Click on the "Buy now" button and pay securely through Stripe (credit, debit, HSA, FSA cards accepted). You do not need to see a doctor. There are no other costs, no hidden "draw fees" at checkout, and you do not pay CPL anything. We can order any lab, so if there is a specific lab you are interested in, please email us (email@example.com), and we will get you a price. We can also order any lab through Quest®.
- After you pay for the labs, you will be taken to a form where you provide the information we need to order your labs.
- You will receive a lab slip in your email within 24 hours. If time is of the essence, you can text us at 512-588-2507, and we can tell you how soon we can get you your lab slip.
- Go to the lab with your lab slip and have your specimen(s) drawn. You can walk in to any CPL location (CPL locations). You do not need an appointment.
- Receive your results via secure, HIPAA-compliant email, typically within 3 days. Please note that the Quantiferon TB Gold Plus test can take up to 6 days to come back.